Monday, June 4, 2012

Favorite bible verses Take one! Psalm 139 (msg)



Psalm 139

God, investigate my life;get all the facts first hand.
I love this line. It seems silly that the psalmist would have to ask God to get all the facts first hand. Doesn't He know them? However, I relate to the point as many do. How often are we in situations where people around us do not get facts first hand? How often do people that we trust, that we open our hearts up do, charge in with hurtful words and actions, without investigating anything? Yet we can approach God and be so bold as to say, "Look at this situation God, look at me! And make sure you get it all straight!"


even from a distance you know what I am thinking
I am never out of your sight.


Isn't it funny though that when we are alone, we think we are alone? We think no one saw us do that thing we did....no one saw us laugh at that fat kid, eat that pint of ice cream, look at that  nasty site, bring the neighbor a bible, cry in the dark, pick up the trash that wasn't ours to pick up...whatever. We think no one sees. We think the dialogue in our heads in ours alone. We think that mumbling in our brains affects no one...but it does. We think the sorrowful whimpers  is ours alone...but its not. We think the angry wishes go unheard up there in our cognitive caves....oh but they are heard!


You know what I leave and when I get back. (This would have been good for me to know as a teen!)


I am never out of your sight. ( I think my pre teen may be forced to read this psalm soon.) 


 You know everything I'm going to say 
      before I start the first sentence. 


I think this verse needs to pop up in the air when we start to argue with someone...especially when things really start to get heated. Would it not be a good eye opener that God knows that you are thinking THOSE thoughts and you are most certain about to put them to voice!?  What when you are frazzled with your child  right before you say that one thing that will knock their egos down a figurative flight of stairs....that verse pops up.  


"My beloved. I know you and I know what you are going to say...."


What if we knew scripture so well...that it did pop up, just not in the the air. (because then that would be a bit freaky!)


I look behind me and you're there, 
      then up ahead and you're there, too— 


God is everywhere. He is with us all the time. It is amazing to me that He gets to know us that well. He doesn't just form us and send us on our way with a wave and a "good luck!!" He knows YOU! He knows when you rise and when you go to bed. He knows your thoughts and your words before you speak them. He took the time to get to know YOU...He didn't have to. He wanted to.


And as the last paragraph of the first verse says in Psalm 139 (1-6 msg)


This is too much, too wonderful— 
      I can't take it all in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment